Vegan kimchi recipe
Kimchi without fish sauce and shrimps. Instead of fish sauce, you can put soy sauce and dashima broth and different vegetables and fruits instead of shrimps (pumpkin, pear, apples, persimmon, mustard green).
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Restint Time8 hrs
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Napa cabbage
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 5 cups of water
- 3/4 pound Korean radish or any alternative, but needs to be white radish
- 3 scallions or green onions
- 3 large mustard green gat leaves (if you find it)
Ingredients for the paste
- 1 tbsp sweet rice powder (combine it with 1/2 cup water and simmer it at low heat until it)
- 1/2 Korean chili flakes gochugaru or its alternative
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (cook the pumpkin and mix it with a mixer, in a food processor, or squeeze it with pork)
- 2 tbsps minced garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps of salt
- 1/4 pear grated
- 1 cup dashima broth (Boil 1 large piece of dashima in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes)
Start by washing the cabbage, cutting the stem a bit but not completely, so the leaves stay together.
Brush the leaves with salt and leave it to rest for 8 hours under a heavy object.
Meanwhile prepare the paste and cut the fruits and vegetables. Combine everything apart from the broth and spread it between cabbage leaves.
Put everything in a proper container, pour the broth and leave it at room temperature for two days. After that, keep it in the fridge and eat it for several weeks.